SEND Information Report

Mission Statement:
Plymouth High School aims to be an outstanding Grammar School for the 21st century remaining true to the philosophy of the school’s motto ‘For Life Not School We Learn’.

A school which:
  • Promotes a culture of high aspiration enabling personal and academic success
  • Prepares students to become confident, independent learners
  • Provides an outstanding education for all, the key to this being high quality teaching
  • Provides enjoyment, excitement and challenge for all, stimulating an enthusiasm for lifelong learning so that our students become active citizens, equipped to succeed in a world of rapid change.
What does having a special educational need mean?
The Code of Practice (2014) states that:

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:
  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  • Have a disability which hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream or post-16 institutions.
  • Where a child or young person has a disability or health condition which requires special educational provision to be made, they will be covered by the SEND definition.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?
SENDCO – Mrs Sam Payne
Responsible for:
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and liaising with you as parents about this.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.
Subject teacher
Responsible for:
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCO know as necessary.
  • Ensuring that the guidance given on the IEP is followed.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
Interim Headteacher – Shaun Willis
Responsible for:
  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • Ensuring that your child’s needs are met, although she will give responsibility to the SENDCO and class teachers to achieve this.
  • Making sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.
SEN Governors – John Buckner and Carol Springett
Responsible for:
  • Ensuring that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.
  • That the school is an inclusive place for your child to be

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at PHSG?
Class teachers input via excellent targeted classroom teaching.
For your child this would mean:
  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their classes.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCO or outside agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice.

The school has a graduated approach to support pupils identified as needing provision different from or additional to the whole class:

Stage: Early Intervention
which means they have been identified as needing some extra support in school.

For your child this would mean:
  • She/he will engage in sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • Our Learning Support Assistant may be involved with these sessions in the student support base.
This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist support from outside agencies e.g. Communication and Interaction Team, Educational Psychology

Stage: Student Support
which means they have been identified as needing some extra specialist support from a professional from outside the school. This may be from:
  • Local Authority central services such as the Communication Interaction Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service.
For your child this would mean:
  • Your child will have been identified by the SENDCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.
This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality Classroom Teaching and intervention groups.

Specialist Individual support

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the SENDCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school alone.

Usually your child will also need support in school from a professional from outside the school. This may be from:
  • Local Authority central services such as the Communication Interaction Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy Service.
For your child this would mean:
  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of multi-agency support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you and any other agencies that may be involved i.e. health professionals) they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at Student Support level.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need additional support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at Student Support level and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:
  • Severe, complex and lifelong.
How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s tutor initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENDCO or Head-teacher
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.
How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?
If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:
  • listen to any concerns you may have too
  • plan any additional support your child may receive
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?
  • The school budget, received from Plymouth LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Headteacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Headteacher and the SENDCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
    • the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.
  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.
Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEND in this school?
Directly funded by the school and working from our student support base:
  • One Learning Mentor
  • One Learning Support Assistant
Directly funded by the school but sourced from outside agencies:
  • Two Counsellors
Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:
  • Communication Interaction team
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).
Provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school:
  • School Nurse
How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with an SEND and what training do they have?
  • The SENDCO’s job is to support the class teachers in planning for children with SEND.
  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASD and Dyslexia.
  • Individual teachers and support staff may attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their classes.
How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?
  • Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers’ planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her teachers.
  • Her/his progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level or Grade assigned.
  • Children at Student Support level will have an IEP which will be reviewed periodically with your involvement. Copies will be sent home with a feedback sheet for parental comment. Your child will also be involved in this process and her/his views will feed into the plan.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENDCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?
  • The tutor and teachers are regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENDCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • IEP’s will be reviewed periodically with your involvement.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • Parents and carers may also be encouraged to contact the Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND if independent advice would be beneficial for them on
How is Plymouth High School accessible to children with SEND?
  • Many of the newer parts of the buildings are accessible to children with physical disability via ramps and two lifts. The ground floor of the Victorian building is also accessible to those with physical disabilities.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school?
  • We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
  • When moving to PHSG from Year 6 all Primary schools are visited and students’ needs are discussed with their current school.
  • If your child is moving to another school:
    • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
Where can I find information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer for children and young people with SEN and their families?
  • The Local Authority are obliged to set out their local offer regarding the special educational provision that all early years providers, schools, post-16 providers and other institutions across Plymouth are able to provide to children and young people with SEN.
Further information on this is available on

How can I make a complaint?

Parents and carers should feel free to contact the school to discuss any concerns which will be dealt with and promptly. Any formal complaints or concerns that you as a parent may have regarding the provision available in place for your child/ child in your care should be made in line with Plymouth High’s complaints policy. Further details and a copy of the Complaints Policy can be found on the main website